Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Madden 10: What I've learned about the Packers



So, I've been fortunate enough to get to demo Madden 10 on PSP this week, and I've got to say I'm all over this.  It's clear there are some big gameplay improvements to Madden 09 on the PSP (graphics and tackling are MUCH better).  I'm really intrigued by the new momentum factor.  One of the things I've found frustrating in past games is the lack of ability for players to adapt (better or worse) based on how they are playing.  If Aaron Rodgers is 10-10 passing, his confidence is up.  That is going to impact other aspects of his game...  if he's 1-10 with 3 INT's, you'd expect the reverse to be true.  And Madden 10 builds this into the game - letting you ride the hot hand.  Here's the initial commentary back to this feature on the EA blog.  (link here)

But I want to focus this post on what I have learned about the Packers just by playing a few games of Madden 10.  (Note, the Packers team is rated a 78 by Madden).  And this handy list is a nice indicator of just how crazy a tool gaming is becoming for evaluating personnel, teams, and systems.
  1. The Pack will be great in a 3-4 system.  The defense got predictable last year, and the 3-4 really offers them options for moving people around.
  2. Matthews and Kampman will be great on the outside.  I really dug playing with this quickness on the edges.
  3. They had better sign Raji, quickly.  I tried playing with him on the bench and... the depth is brutal.  (Ted Thompson, please play Madden 10!)
  4. Offensively, I'm worried about our right tackle position.  Giacomini is a 63, as our starter.  Moll is a 58 as a backup.  Yikes.
  5. Ryan Grant played pretty well, but seems really slow.  (He is an 85, but felt pretty slow getting to the hole)
Here's a link to all the Packers ratings.

Is there a grain of salt here, because it is one guy playing a few games of Madden 10 on his PSP?  Yes.  But I think it's really easy to see what the potential is here.  Gaming will become a tool for evaluating trades and the draft, and predicting team success.  For now I just hope it inspires the Packers to realize they desperately need to sign the DT!

0 comments:

Post a Comment