Monday, August 31, 2009

College Hoops: Digital ACC Preview - Team #10: Georgia Tech

It's time to crack into the top 10 of the ACC, as we continue to take a peak at the conference through the eyes of how they are generating online excitement about their programs. This is a chance for coaches and teams to share what it means to be a part of their system. And not all digital is created equal. We last left the story here, talking through #12 Boston College and #11 Miami.

Let's keep rolling.

#10 Georgia Tech
To me, Georgia Tech is that program with the tools in place to succeed but lacking the right system to make it work. I pulled up their site. At first glance, there seemed to be no easy way to keep in touch with the program from their athletics home page (link here).


Then I figured it out. If you choose "Multimedia", you get access to two things: RamblinWreck Tube (their YouTube channel) and their iTunes Podcast. So I went from disappointed to excited as I clicked into the YouTube channel, hoping I'd see some intimate looks at the program. I found 143 videos that ranged from women's basketball to softball to swimming to football. So while I loved the access, the kitchen sink feel to it scared me away. (I did not subscribe here). Sadly, if you click on "Men's Basketball", then multimedia, you get access to the same kitchen sink YouTube. No specific hoops area to be found. Sigh.



Reluctantly, I clicked into their iTunes podcast (super cool idea). What I found here was another collection of every sport... but, off to the side, I found related podcasts... one of which was a Georgia Tech Basketball podcast. (image below). Why I couldn't get here from the GT basketball page?


GT also has a few Twitter feeds, but they are equally tough to find. If you look at the home page, click on "Fan Zone", you'll find a Twitter list. The list is a good start as they attempt to show all the interaction places you can have.



This page is a great start. But they need to make it simple. What sports are Coach Heppler or Shelton for? What does GTWBB mean? (I know it's women's hoops, just saying this needs to be more exciting!) And they leave off Hoops Assistant Coach Peter Zaharis, who's the only one I could find on Twitter - albeit a pretty small feed of only 21 followers and 4 posts. (find him here and help him rack up the followers!)

As you can see above, Georgia Tech does have an athletics Twitter feed here. It's got over 2,500 followers, but like most else here it is athletics in general. Not hoops specific and, if I'm a top recruit, not overly exciting.

In sum, GT has some pieces in place, but the good stuff is super hard to find, and when you do find them they aren't extremely deep or basketball focused... and they left me wanting more. (Which, it turns out, you can find tomorrow. See you then!)

Andy

0 comments:

Post a Comment