Saturday, September 19, 2009

Horizon League Launches Ridiculous Website, Blows Me Away

As I continue down the track for amazing college sites, I came across the news that the Horizon League had launched a new site around high-quality game coverage online and social connection among fans. (Full press release here).

So I HAD to dive in, and I had to cover it for you. This is real-time, hot college news... Here's the link. Of course, I'll break it down below. But you really should check it out first. Here's another chance to click in. Don't worry, I'll still have the breakdown of the experience ready for you when you're done!

As you'll see, the site is super clean and easy to follow -- you'll see a nice blog feed hitting you right in the start. But look around, you also have the latest message board posts and tweets about the Horizon League pumping through. So this site is going to change, early and often.



Now look towards the bottom -- Flickr photos of the Horizon League pop through as well. The press release says we should expect fan participation on this in the tourney times. That's just amazing, especially if Butler is hot this year!



I drilled into the blog next. It's simple, but also easily (see checklist on the right) morphs to just the team (or teams) and sport (or sports) you want to follow. Nice!



The site has one of the best Twitter feeds I've seen. Everything posts here, but you again can filter down to the team or teams you want. This is even better than I'd have imagined... I would have been happy to allow me to narrow it to one team. But now I can adapt this however I want. Huzzah!

Also note on the right the black box "Tweet this page". From any place on the site we are able to click and share it via Twitter. That's tweet the exact page, not the site in general. And it is persistent through the site. What a great use of Twitter!



You'll see the channels icon on top as well. Clicking here allows you to change the content in every area (blog, video, news, message boards, and tweets) to your team. You basically have full control. Wow.



And last but DEFINITELY not least, check out how the conference plans on leveraging interaction in game. From the screen below you'll see the window where we will see high quality live streams of the games... But you'll also notice there's a Facebook icon. You are able to use Facebook Connect and follow the game alongside your Facebook friends (or the friends of your team through this site). I can't wait to join this during a big game this year!!!


I've made it my mission to cover great work in the digital side of College Hoops and this is just mind boggling. It's unexpected (I saw the release and didn't really plan on covering it). It's powerful, and it is a role model for teams and conferences to follow!

Stay tuned as I continue my roll through the Pac-10 next week!

Andy

0 comments:

Post a Comment