Thursday, February 24, 2011

SoCon Best Practices: Davidson Redefines Live Blogging

Tune in here.

There's power in this phrase. And I think there's a signal of where digital is going for programs and conferences. Is your website simply a place to get a schedule so you can go elsewhere to catch the game? If so, do people even need your website? Or is it something more?

Davidson hits us with a glimpse in what could be.....

Hit the Davidson Athletics page and you'll see the main story in the center...



Or you can check out the tout further down the page:




In any case, you end up here, at the home of the Davidson Blog, Wildcat Roar. Take a peak at the image (or the link) and we'll dive into it below the image...



In one space, you now can chat with others about the game, as it is happening, with CoverIt Live. And you can stream live audio, video, or stats -- whatever you want! I like this for many reasons. But I'll boil it down to two.
  1. They are adding value - making it easy for you not to know when the game is, but rather to consume it.
  2. This becomes the message that's hyped on their home page. It isn't "Game tonight," but rather it's "Game tonight, watch it with us here."
What's more, as you can see below, you can set a reminder for the game. If you're like me, you need reminders. I make to-do lists, I set appointments on my calendar, and I ask my family or friends or co-workers to remind me of things. They enable it, right here....


How many meetings would I miss at work without Entourage's handy reminder system?

How could this be better? I'd like to see the live actions merged together. Could we get cover it live synched with live audio? That way you could hear it and the messaging in the live blog wouldn't have to be the play-by-play but rather the color commentary. I sense a whole new world, coming soon!

Come back tomorrow as we give our final peak into the best practices of the Southern Conference.

Don't forget, you can follow along on Facebook (here) or on Twitter: I'm@pawlow34.

Andy

0 comments:

Post a Comment