Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Mid Eastern Athletic Conference Wants You to Help Them Scale Social

Facebook fans.

How do you encourage the growth of your social presence? There are many ways to do this and today, in the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference, we see one of them: They make it clear that's what they'd like you to do.

What do I mean by this? There's something pretty powerful when one of your friends suggest you like a page. When I get one of those Facebook messages from a close friend, I almost always agree and Like the page they suggest. (Maybe that means I'm susceptible to peer pressure?) It's an old but true adage that the most influential people in our lives are those we trust the most. And if they like something, we probably will too...

Click into the MEAC Facebook page and click on "Invite". That takes you to this tab, shown below...

What you'll see is a visual look at all your Facebook friends who have not liked MEAC Sports... (Yes, I have a lot of friends who haven't)...


And, at the bottom of that page is a box to send an invitation to those who you think might like this. It's easy for you to share your MEAC Love with your friends. Really smart, as any time you make it easy you increase the odds of participation.

How could this be better? Incentive. Why should I forward this to my friends? As you'll see in this promotion from Burger King, they rewarded fans with a free Whopper if they were to remove 10 of their Facebook friends. (It was later removed by Facebook as that's not what they want to see happen to their network) Fans were given an incentive for engaging with their friends. I'd love to see the reverse here. How could you reward fans for spreading this MEAC Love to their friends? Wouldn't it be worth something if I shared this with 10 or 20 of my friends? It grows the reach of the MEAC and it creates real social value for fans.

Come back tomorrow as we continue rolling through a week of best practices in the MEAC. We'll spend the next 3 days elevating best practices from the conference's 13 member institutions.

Don't forget, you can follow along on Facebook (here) or on Twitter: I'm@pawlow34.

Andy

0 comments:

Post a Comment