Friday, February 11, 2011

NEC Best Practices: SFU and the importance of Social Media

What do you want your consumer (fans or recruits) to check out? When you get limited time with them and they arrive on your page, what are you hoping they dive into? Do you leave it to chance? Or do you aim to get them to what you're the proudest of?

That's a lot of questions to ponder. I believe Saint Francis (PA) gives us a nice step in the road to that answer.

Hit the Saint Francis Home Page and hover over FAN ZONE....



From here, you're able to dive into Red Flash Social Media, putting us at our destination, shown below and linked here. It's a description of all things Social Media -- all ways to follow the Red Flash.

But it's more than that.

Let's look at the YouTube description:

"Witness the fastest growing part of Red Flash athletics! Check out the action from Saint Francis University's 22 varsity sports, complete with game footage, interviews, highlights, and other exclusive content!"



I'd say they are proud of this. We should check it out, here.


We have a very active YouTube Channel. But, more than that, we have a video about the importance of social media from Director of Athletics Bob Krimmel. I'm embedding the video below and I'll rejoin you after you check it out below. (It's only 30 seconds, don't worry!)




So what are the learnings here? It's clear that the program is fired up about digital and social media. They are telling you, from the highest positions in the program, why you should care. And they have our attention.

The copy surrounding YouTube is personal and packed with emotion. And, much like all good things, there's a sense of urgency -- I'd better check back early and often or I'm going to miss something.

How could this get better? Let us subscribe to what we want. I love the active nature of this channel. But I'd love it more if I could customize my engagement. The other thing I'd toss out here is there's an opportunity to have fun that's really important. I love the passion and attention on social media... and if SFU can pair this with an attention to college (the fun side of it), they can captivate us with the program.

Fantastic start by SFU.

Come back tomorrow as we continue rolling through a week of best practices in the NEC.

Don't forget, you can follow along on Facebook (here) or on Twitter: I'm@pawlow34.

Andy

0 comments:

Post a Comment