Friday, May 15, 2009

Gaming Friday: Create your own team

So I came across this the other day and was pretty excited.  The big new feature in this summer's NCAA Football 10 is the ability to create your school online, then play with them in the game.  But it isn't so much the fact that you can do it that I'm pumped about but rather where you can do it and how.  

I've never been a huge fan of sitting in front of a TV screen with a controller or joystick trying to customize much of anything.  It just isn't intuitive and to me leaves you wishing you could do more things faster.  It's also not the easiest way to search other designs or inspirations.  This lets you take a lunch break at work and keep working on your squad. 





Beyond this, you actually feel like you are creating a team.  Not just forming one.  Watching this developer interview made me realize how intricate we will be able to customize details from logo placement and look on the field to player ability to the mascot.  It's nice on a few levels - I can finally create Drake (not sure if I can customize low attendance) and put them in their conference, not force them to join the Big Ten.  That's nice.



I want to end this though with where I think this could go.  To me, there are a couple inspiring paths here: 
  1. What is the revenue extension here?  Can I buy custom-designed stadiums and play in them?  (If these are all created online, how can EA inspire a community of designers to create their own artwork in the game... and let players buy them.  Much like Threadless does with tee shirts.)  
  2. How can the amazing uniform designer tool get blown out in venue?  I love the idea of design contests at Nebraska impacting what the Cornhuskers actually wear in real life.  EA has the chance to be the fuel for a new level of emotional connection.
I can't wait to see this when it comes out July 14!

0 comments:

Post a Comment