Friday, July 3, 2009

Gaming Friday: NCAA Football, or just how big can user created gaming get?

So when I saw the news that you could go and create your own team inside NCAA Football 10, I was pretty excited. I wrote about it here, because to me it marked the first time you could fairly easily create your own content online and share it to others in the gaming world then play with it. You could create your high school football team and conference. Or, if you went to a school with Division I-AA football like me, you could create a squad at Drake. Pretty solid. But I had NO idea they'd get this kind of impact.

EA Sports announced there have now been over 100,000 teams created. And the game isn't even out yet. That is crazy. I'm going to hit return now so we can pause to ponder this.

Here is the release. 7 teams were created per minute the first two days after this release. If you don't recall the benefits, you can essentially customize everything from the stadium to the mascot to the uniforms. EA's blog promotes the best designs of the week. (Check out the South Bend Shamrocks here).

Solid.

But all this makes me wonder where things are going. Recently the gaming industry unveiled that Twitter and Facebook will be integrated inside the Xbox 360 soon, making things even easier to share. EA is soft-starting contests on design. I think you can envision a world where designers are competing to design new uniforms and architects are working on new stadiums in game that people will pay for. A whole new business may be coming one day! I can't wait.

1 comments:

Dave Burgess said...

I designed my own team yesterday. I don't know if I will buy this game or wait a year (a lot of it looks like last year.) However, the customization on it is incredible. All Pro Football 2K8 did a pretty awesome job, but this is raising the bar!

Post a Comment