Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Topps Live Brings Baseball Cards to Life

I have to admit it. I collected baseball cards growing up and now have a closet full of them in my old bedroom in my parent's house. There once was a day where I told my mom to "never let me sell them, like so many other adults did." Fast forward to now. No, I'm not really pondering selling them. But I have wondered if there will ever be a generation of kids who will ever be back in the mode of wanting to collect baseball cards again. They are static visuals and a freeze frame moment in time that quickly becomes outdated.

Then I saw this - Topps Live. And I started to visualize what was possible. So yes, this is neat on its own - hold your card up to a scanner and unlock a virtual experience with a hologram of your player. But to think what could become possible if this takes off? Could we get to a point where the virtual version of a player changes as the season unfolds? Not just in their statistics but in what they are able to do? Could we see hologram highlights of the last night's game? (Or of an at bat that is in progress?) I think this connection is exactly what could be the start of baseball cards becoming relevant again... if they do this right.




That's crazy. Here's a link to the story in the NY Times:

0 comments:

Post a Comment