Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Special: Are Apps becoming wasteful?


I was peering at my iPhone this morning as I'm hit with the messages of Earth Day. Take a look at the image above (yes, I have a lot of email to read!)

The things I want to call to your attention are Madden 10, CBS March Madness on Demand Lite and CBS March Madness on Demand Pay. Those 3 apps all gave me great joy for awhile. And they all 3 will no doubt be replaced with 2011 versions that I'll end up redownloading as I throw away these.

There has to be a better way.

Rather than hit us up with a chance to buy a one-time thing, why not let us buy a lifetime subscription? Why not let me download "Madden" or "March Madness". No guarantees how long they'll be around, but I personally identify with both and would be proud to have them as a part of my phone... which means a part of my identity.

This longer term thinking will result in deeper connections between the app maker and the consumer, make more money, and eliminate some of this "virtual waste."

Thoughts?



0 comments:

Post a Comment