Monday, March 15, 2010

Nike Basketball Wants You to Back Your Squad

Disclaimer alert.

I led this project at Nike and thus almost didn't put this in my blog at all. But I'm so excited (it's easily the most exciting project I've ever worked on) and I know many of you who follow this blog would be interested in what we're doing so I'll cover this here.



Everything starts around the energy of fans and teams. Click here to watch a video that shows the juxtaposition of fans and athletes getting ready for battle. (Lots of fun!)

When you get to the site (link here) revolves around 65 of our top programs. (see the map below) I'm a big fan of maps, in general, and it's pretty sweet to see all of these programs together at once. When you think of the amount of energy at this time of year, it's pretty exciting. And you get a feeling that the Atlantic Coast is a basketball megalopolis.





You're able to click into every team and see a video by Jay Bilas on what makes that team a tough matchup (if nothing else, those videos are cool to watch before you fill out your bracket next week!) On this page (Link here, I'm showing the Murray State home page below), you'll see that there's a scroll of fan support that has poured into the site from Racers fans!





If you click into Back Your Squad, you're taken to this page where you get a chance to Devote Your Facebook status to your team. I love the symbolism here. Give up your social status in support of your team. That's how much you love them. And give them a shout out for the tourney, here as well. The team with the most support when the action starts Thursday wins a Pep Rally thrown by Nike next fall. I'm pumped about that, as I feel a little like a team in the tourney. I know I'm going somewhere, not sure where...





Though if you look at the leader board now, odds are I'm heading to Seattle, Washington or Cedar Falls, Iowa. Who would have thought that? I'm wondering if word will get out to Durham, NC or East Lansing, MI -- 2 rabid fan bases who haven't made a run yet.





Please check out the site, here. And back a team. And leave me a comment to let me know what you think!

Andy

1 comments:

Tricia Miller said...

Hi Andy! I thought this was super cool - while I was sad the Pilots weren't an option, I backed Mizzou. How do you think this app did overall? Love your blog - a bounty of good stuff!

Post a Comment